Saturday 31 August 2013

Blackwater Estuary Cruise, August 28th-31st

Daisy II cruising into the evening sun, coaster Valentine ahead together with the imposing nuclear power station at  Bradwell
Another picture, this time taken from Valentine, of Daisy II cruising into the sun on the first day.
By comparison with recent efforts, our 'summer' has, at last, lived up to its name. This has yielded exceptional opportunities for extended cruising and, in the process, greatly increased my confidence in the Drascombe Coaster's capabilities when out at sea. So, following my east coast cruise to rivers north east of home waters, I set off on a second summer cruise, this time bound for the Blackwater estuary, a wonderful sailing area with large expanses of open water, sheltered rivers, attractive ports, stunning islands and secluded creeks.
Overall: 123nm; Season's total 600.9nm
Wednesday August 28th - from the Orwell to the Blackwater
Departure from Pin Mill at 10.30am, taking the last of the ebb out of the Orwell, and picking up the flood as Daisy II rounded the Naze Tower and sailed down The Wallet.  Winds were variable but generally northerly, and light in the morning, turning south easterly in the afternoon.  I used the engine to speed up the process of reaching the Naze Tower, but sailed the remaining distance.
I never cease to be amazed by the size of these container ships at Felixstowe
Never easy to capture with my 'point and shoot' camera, but I have always enjoyed the patterns made by these offshore windfarms.  This is the array on the Gunfleet Sands, opposite Clacton on Sea.
Once in the River Blackwater, I was greeted by coaster Valentine.  There was always a prospect that this would happen, but it was nonetheless a delight that we pulled it off.  Further to my report earlier this month, I am delighted that a local sailor purchased Valentine and, by way of coincidence, was on holiday at West Mersea this week.  Daisy II and Valentine are, respectively, Drascombe coasters no.280 and no.281; both feature the unusual round portholes on their cabins and were obviously manufactured as a pair, and fairly close to the demise of the then Totnes-based firm, Honnor Marine (UK) Ltd.  Hence, I have started to view these boats as, not just 'sisters' but 'twin-sisters'.  I'm still trying to find out whether any other round-portholed versions were produced at this time, as well as the reasons for their production.
Images of coaster Valentine

After an enjoyable reach up the Blackwater, Valentine retired to West Mersea, and I sought anchorage for the night off the north shore of Osea Island.
Day 1: Orwell to the Blackwater, 34.8nm
Thursday 29th August - exploring the River Colne
It made sense to use the tides.  I used the morning ebb, in light winds, up to Stone Point off the east side of Mersea Island, where I anchored for lunch.  Subsequently, I took the flood up the Colne to Wivenhoe and Rowhedge, before sailing back down the Colne, into the estuary and ending up anchored just west of Bradwell on the south side of the River Blackwater.  Winds were SW, reaching an F4 peak around 2pm, but generally light F3.
Osea Island
Distant Drascombe Drifter from West Mersea
Approach to Wivenhoe
Lugger 'The Old Blugger' perched on mudbanks at Rowhedge
Gunfleet Sands wind farm has that sinking look from behind Brightlingsea
Day 2: Blackwater and Colne; 32.5nm
Friday 30th August - Sailing in the Blackwater, and beaching at West Mersea
The last full day gave an opportunity to enjoy sailing in the River Blackwater.  I also wanted to stop at West Mersea over lunch (low tide).
I began by beating west, originally with the intention of reaching Maldon.  Winds were too light, though, to achieve this, and I had set off too late (6am!).  So I settled on the much reduced target of Goldhanger Creek, where I saw two boats whose lately deceased owners and creators have been a huge inspiration.
John Sheldrake's much modified Dracombe Driver Mantra is now moored here.  John was a great Drascombe modifier, and had loads of ideas about how to make these boats sail more effectively.  He was also a thoroughly pleasant chap, and supported one of my early rallies at Hickling Broad in 2010.  It was so sad that he lost his life earlier this year.
Boats at Goldhanger Creek, including Mantra, the former Drascombe Driver heavily modified by the much-missed John Sheldrake.
Charles Stock's boat Shoal Waters is also now moored at Goldhanger.  Charles's book, 'Sailing just for fun' is never far from my book pile, and is a huge inspiration to anyone cruising around the east coast.  My annual mileage doesn't even put a dent in his documented travels and, significantly, he managed his without an engine.
Shoal Waters, the late Charles Stock's widely travelled pocket cruiser, now moored at Goldhanger Creek.
Having paid my respects to these two wonderful boats, I sailed with the ebb east, briefly calling in at Stone Sailing Club and enjoying some moored Drascombes.
Drascombes at Stone Sailing Club
Drascombe coaster, Maid of Stone
Daisy II briefly beached off Stone Sailing Club, St Lawrence Bay
The next stop was thoroughly planned.  I wanted to stop for a while at West Mersea.  I found a suitable place to 'wash up' for a few hours either side of LW on a hard area adjacent to a very busy jetty.
Daisy II washed-up at West Mersea
West Mersea is a splendid place to enjoy boats of all shapes and sizes.  Former Drascombe Drifter owners, David and Persephone must be extremely proud of their new toy, an impressive, new Bay Cruiser 23 called Moonstone IX.
Moonstone IX, a Bay Cruiser 23
By contrast, there were some less-picturesque efforts...
Is this the world's ugliest-looking craft?
After a thoroughly pleasant few hours exploring the town including a cafe stop, a visit to a chandlers to purchase needle and thread for further sprayhood repairs, I teamed up once more with Valentine for very pleasant sailing - just for the fun of it - in the estuary.








Following the trip, the new owner of Valentine sent me some pictures of Daisy II:



Images of Daisy II taken by the skipper of Valentine
...and this piece of video:

Finally, it was time for me to retire to my planned evening anchorage off Stone Point, poised for the return trip to home waters.
Day 3: West Mersea; 29.9nm
Saturday 31st August - return to the Orwell
The return trip was every bit the exhilarating sail I had hoped for, up until I had, for the sake of time, to resort to engine east of the Naze Tower.  I woke up to fresher, NW F5 winds. I hauled in the anchor at around 7.15am and, with reefed jib and double reefed main, cruised down the Colne and around Colne Point, and then east along the coast.  Under much reduced canvas, in the gusts, I was reaching speeds well in excess of 6 knots.  As the coast veered towards the north, winds moved onto the nose, but also diminished slightly in intensity.  I hove too opposite the Ro Mast between Holland-on-Sea and Frinton-on-Sea to shake out a reef, pull out the mizzen, and for various refreshments.  Once clear of the Naze tower, I faced the prospect of winds on the nose in mounting seas, and a commitment to make it back home in time to visit London in the evening.  So, I switched on the motor and worked my way back to the mooring.
Day 4: return to the Orwell; 25.3nm
This trip represents the end of a fantastic summer of sailing.  My intention has been to concentrate on longer trips and this objective has been achieved.  My log already shows that Daisy II has sailed further this year than ever before.  Sadly, September brings the return of work commitments.  However, there are exciting planned trips ahead, not least of which is the next Dracombe Rally at Hickling Broad during the last weekend in September.  At some point, I will have to take Daisy II off the mooring in preparation for this, but hope for the odd day sail in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment